Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Reflections on the Tragedy at Chardon High

On Tuesday morning, ECMS English Teacher Kirsten Pelot and a 6th grade student tracked me down in the parking lot doing my morning duty. They proposed a plan for our 6th grade students to write to the students at Chardon High School to express their sympathy for the victims of the tragic events of  February 27.  I was very touched by the request.  As I was reading the CNN blog, a 3rd student passed.  It makes no sense. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.  I am also wondering about how the school's students and staff are coping.  I understand that 3 teachers were responsible for intervening and stopping the shooter before he claimed even more victims. Such courage . . .

We continue our focus on building students' self-esteem.  This week, we have Jessica Cox, a motivational speaker, coming today to speak to students.  Jessica is a very accomplished person. She is talks about being positive in the face of adversity.  She pilots a plane inspite of having been born with no arms. We are looking very forward to listening to this amazing young woman.

Beauty and the Beast is opening this week at 7 pm in the MPR Thursday and Friday.  Ms. Higgins very aptly chose this musical.  I love the message that it sends to young people that true beauty comes from within.

I am going to be writing an article about school safety in the upcoming newsletter.  Our counselors will be contributing their thoughts as well.   We want to assure you that we are working very hard every day to make certain that our students are safe and happy here at ECMS.

Please call me if you have any concerns.  209-8100

No comments:

Post a Comment