Sunday, May 27, 2012

Why I will miss our 8th graders . . .

Call me sentimental but I feel a need to express my appreciation for our 8th grade students who were promoted this past Tuesday. Reasons Why I'll Miss You, 8th Graders: When Jessica Cox demonstrated how she brushed her hair and got dressed every morning without arms and challenged members of our student audience to do the same, so many of you accepted the challenge. The comments and enthusiasm you shared about Jessica inspire me to find exemplary individuals to share their life's journey with you. You are a hard working group of scholarly students with a wide variety of interests. Among your classmates are artists, scientists, champion spellers, musicians, budding entrepreneurs, champion swimmers, dancers, actors, equestrians, poets, composers of original music, athletes who engage in a variety of sports, and students who understand that giving back to the community helps make life meaningful. Thanks to all of you who took time to share your accomplishments with me. Many of you are too shy to come forward and I am grateful to your proud teachers and parents who share your many successes with me. Many of you have come forward and shared your challenges with me and our staff. We have great admiration for the grace and courage many of you haven shown when faced with struggles. Please know that we believe in you. Aim for the stars; they are within your reach. You possess a great sense of humor and, at the same time, seriousness of purpose. I will never forget the 8th graders who helped me with announcements. Lots of hilarity and light-hearted fun are always great ways to start the day. From the rap you wrote to Support World Bicycle Relief to the way you practiced the sports announcements at home in front of your parents (yes, your moms told me), you all showed commitment to excellence. In closing, I want to offer my continued help in the future. If you ever need anyone to put in a good word for you, you have an ally in the principal's office here at ECMS. Nevertheless, I will miss you all so very much. I am so happy for you and your families. Being promoted from middle school is a big step. Four short years from now, you will attend college. You will be ready; our skillful and dedicated high school staff will help you to continue to work towards your dreams. It will be a marvelous journey. Devotedly, M. Setliff

No comments:

Post a Comment